Monday, June 19, 2017
EAGAN, Minn. (June 19, 2017) — With $1 million in grants approved on June 16, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation will fund 13 organizations working to enhance community health and advance health equity throughout Minnesota. The projects selected focus on the social and economic factors that significantly impact health outcomes, including community safety, education, employment, family and social support, and income. Grants range from $25,000 to $100,000 and most are potentially renewable for a second year.
“We are committed to improving health in communities where Minnesotans live, learn, work and play,” said Carolyn Link, executive director of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation. “We share a common goal with the grantee organizations to meaningfully engage people experiencing inequities in their communities. This year’s grantees will help assure Minnesotans have the opportunity to lead healthy lives.”
The grantees are uniquely positioned to address barriers to achieving optimal health in their communities. “Since its inception over 30 years ago, the Foundation has focused on promoting meaningful, sustainable change—and that’s exactly what each of these grantees are working toward,” said Link.
The following Minnesota organizations were selected to receive grants. A description of each is available on the Foundation’s website.
· CAPI, Minneapolis
· Casa de Esperanza, St. Paul
· Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha, Minneapolis
· Cultural Wellness Center (Minnesota Black Child Development Institute), Minneapolis
· Domestic Abuse Intervention Programs, Duluth
· Native American Community Development Institute, Minneapolis
· Nexus Community Partners, St. Paul
· Northfield Healthy Community Initiative, Northfield
· Promise Neighborhood of Central Minnesota, St. Cloud
· Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians, Red Lake Nation
· St. Paul Youth Services, St. Paul
· The Minneapolis Foundation, (Northside Funders Group, North@Work) Minneapolis
· West Central Initiative, Fergus Falls
For more information on Blue Cross’ grantmaking programs, call (651) 662-3950 or toll free at 1-866-812-1593, or visit our website.
As the philanthropic arm of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation is exclusively dedicated to improving health in Minnesota. Our purpose: advance health equity and improve the conditions where people live, learn, work, and play. The Foundation celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2016. Over the past 30 years, we’ve awarded a total of $48 million to nearly 500 organizations across the state.